Thursday, May 19, 2011

My Girl

My girl, M, is eight years old.  She'll be nine at the end of the summer.  I wouldn't mind if she stayed eight for another year or two- childhood seems so short now.  M has had many interests over the years, most notably is her love of dinosaurs.  One of my most favorite pictures is of her asleep in her bed with her dinosaur encyclopedia opened and propped up next to her.  She was three years old.  She insisted on being read that encyclopedia every night for a.long.time.  I'm talking years here.  It bored me to death.  But I read it.  Sometimes I read it in a rhythmic, monotone voice in hopes of lulling her to sleep a little quicker, but I read it.  She will always have an interest in prehistoric life, I imagine.

M is independent and stoic.  She needs and likes to have alone time.  This is hard for me sometimes, because I miss her during the day when she's at school, and I want to chat and hug on her when she comes home.  Often that is the opposite of what she wants!  We work it out, but it isn't always pretty.  She's definitely an introvert though, just like her mommy and daddy.  Her sense of humor has really developed the past few years.  She is a funny kid and likes to make people laugh.

She's a scientist too.  We find concoctions she has made around the house all the time.  If it's a powder, a liquid or if it's tiny, then it has been mixed into some sort of potion by M.  She made liquid chalk paint a few weeks ago and painted on the sidewalk with it.  I think she would be thrilled if she got a mortar and pestle set for her birthday so she could grind up anything to mix.  While we applaud her ingenuity, it does get messy and it has led to a few not-so-stellar parenting moments.

I hope she knows I think she is the most amazing, wonderful, and special girl in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment